Barrington Hills: A Unique Rural Equestrian Community
The Barrington area was first settled in the 1830s as a farming community. With gently rolling hills, many covered in towering oak trees, natural kettle moraine lakes and ponds, open spaces, the Barrington area in the late nineteenth & early twentieth centuries attracted affluent Chicago families looking for a summer retreat from the crowded and dirty city -- yet within a day's journey by horse and buggy, and later by automobile or train from Chicago.
These new residents purchased farms and built their estates, continuing to operate "gentleman farms" with farm managers to run them. In 1921 a group of prominent Chicago businessman purchased 220 acres for the Barrington Hills Country Club and the nucleus of what was to become the Village of Barrington Hills was born.
In the prosperous mid 1950s, large scale housing developments began to sprout up on what had been rural farmland. When developers purchased several thousand acres south of the Barrington area in Bartlett, and then in nearby Carpentersville for hundreds of homes on quarter acre lots, farsighted Barrington Hills residents realized that if the Barrington Countryside was to remain a rural oasis and retain its 5 acre minimum zoning, that incorporating as a Village was the only way to preserve the "special way of life" that had been the core of the Countryside since its inception 50 years earlier. After many months of effort, the Village of Barrington Hills was incorporated on July 5, 1957.
Today Barrington Hills has a population of approximately 4,232 and is an oasis of another time, another way of life, where residents not only know each other, but join together to enjoy their interests & hobbies, participate in village wide events like the annual Polo Match in September, Riding Club parties, Forest Preserve work days, school events, country club events and the many casual neighbor sponsored get- togethers.
The Village of Lake Barrington is a hamlet of neighborhoods and residential nooks nestled in open spaces, woodlands and wetlands in the southwest corner of Lake County, approximately 40 miles northwest of the Chicago Loop. During the 2010 U.S. Census 4,973 people called Lake Barrington their home.
In early 1956, the idea of the incorporation of Lake Barrington, Barrington, North Barrington, Biltmore, Tower Lakes, and Timber Lakes was initiated. All were concerned with the growth potential of the area. New zoning was in the works for Cuba Township. One of the main changes the residents would introduce would be to keep the homes on a minimum of 5-acre home sites.
The final determination on the incorporation of the Village of Lake Barrington through a referendum was accomplished on October 31, 1959. Coincidentally, the Village of North Barrington was incorporated on the same day, labeling them as the “Twin Villages” sharing a common boundary.
Today, Lake Barrington focuses on local nature & preservation initiatives, including Leave No Child Inside, the Open Space Initiative which includes Freier Farm, and community involvement thorough the Citizens for Conservation group which holds annual native plant sales and works to eradicate invasive plant species in our area.
South Barrington originally came from rural roots; rich, flat earth made prime farm country. The Village of South Barrington was incorporated in 1959 and much of its development has come in the last 20 years. The population today is approximately 4,713.
With its proximity to the tollway and O'Hare Airport, many people who live in South Barrington travel a great deal. There is much new, big construction.
South Barrington has many residential neighborhoods, as well as upscale retail, restaurants, specialty shops and entertainment venues.
North Barrington is approximately 35 miles northwest of Chicago and is home to Wynstone, a gated golf course community; and Biltmore, surrounding private Honey Lake. The population is about 3,036.
The original subdivision of the Honey Lake area occurred in 1926 -- it was called Biltmore Country Estates and included the Biltmore Country Club.
In 1959, area residents voted to form the unincorporated area into the Village of North Barrington so citizens could more directly influence their environment.
The Wynstone subdivision began development in the late 1980s and includes the Jack Nicklaus Golf Course.